Trump dismisses 'phony Emoluments Clause' after Doral criticism

Source: The Hill | October 21, 2019 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Monday dismissed criticism that his since-reversed plan to host the Group of Seven (G-7) summit at his Doral property would have led to an ethics violation.

“I don’t think you people, with this phony Emoluments Clause — and by the way, I would say that it’s cost anywhere from $2 billion to $5 billion to be president,” Trump said during a Cabinet meeting at the White House.

The Emoluments Clause prohibits elected federal officials from receiving gifts or contributions from foreign governments. Trump has repeatedly claimed the presidency has cost him billions of dollars.

Trump offered a lengthy defense of using his Doral resort near Miami to host next year’s G-7 summit, and lashed out amid questions about the backlash to his earlier decision.

Trump insisted that he would not have profited off hosting world leaders, scores of journalists and other staff at his family’s property near Miami. The president announced Saturday the White House would find a new location for the summit following criticism from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.

“It would have been the best G-7 ever,” Trump told reporters during a Cabinet meeting, adding that he felt the eventual location would not be as good.

“The Democrats went crazy, even though I would have done it free, saved the country a lot of money,” he added. “Then they say, ‘Oh, but you’ll get promotion.’ Who cares? You don’t think I get enough promotion? I get more promotion than any human being that’s ever lived.”

Trump, who turned over control of his business empire to his sons but did not put his assets in a blind trust, again criticized former President Obama for his book deal and contract with Netflix, both of which were agreed to after Obama left the White House.

……..

Trump reportedly made the decision to pick a new G-7 summit location following a call with Republicans on Saturday.

Democrats have long alleged that Trump has used the presidency to bolster his business empire, citing frequent stays by administration officials and foreign representatives at Trump branded properties.

A lawsuit filed by congressional Democrats alleging Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause is working its way through the court system.

Trump during the Cabinet meeting said Doral would have been the “best location” for a G-7 meeting.

“Unlimited for security because it’s on you know, hundreds of acres. Best location. Right next to the airport, Miami International, one of the biggest airports in the world,” he said. “Some people say it’s the biggest, but one of the biggest airports in the world, only minutes away. It would have been great.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.