Trump dismisses rioters’ calls to hang Pence: ‘People were very angry’

Source: The Hill | November 12, 2021 | Caroline Vakil

Former President Trump argued that then-Vice President Pence was ‘well-protected’ during the Jan. 6 riot and defended angry chants against the vice president from rioters, including those calling for him to be hanged, according to a new audio excerpt released by ABC News on Friday.

The excerpt, shared by ABC News Chief Washington Correspondent Jonathan Karl with Axios, is from an interview Karl conducted with Trump on March 18. The interview is part of a 90-minute interview conducted at Mar-a-Lago and will be included as part of Karl’s forthcoming book, “Betrayal,” according to Axios.

In the audio clip, Karl asked Trump, “Were you worried about him during that siege? Were you worried about his safety?”

Trump answered, “No, I thought he was well-protected, and I had heard that he was in good shape. No. Because I had heard he was in very good shape. But, but, no, I think … ”

Karl interjected talking about chants that could be heard calling to “Hang Mike Pence.”

“Because you heard those chants — that was terrible. I mean — ” Karl said.

Trump responded saying, “He could have — well, the people were very angry.”

“They were saying ‘hang Mike Pence,’ ” Karl said.

“Because it’s common sense, Jon,” Trump interjected. “It’s common sense that you’re supposed to protect. How can you — if you know a vote is fraudulent, right? — how can you pass on a fraudulent vote to Congress?” 

Karl reported that more of his interview with Trump would be reported during ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.