Trump: 'I'd run in there' to stop school shooting, slams 'disgusting' sheriffs

Source: Washington Examiner | February 26, 2018 | Sarah Westwood

President Trump on Monday slammed the Broward County sheriffs who failed to enter the high school in Parkland, Fla. this month, and said it was “disgusting” that four of them waited outside as the shooter killed more than a dozen people.

“They weren’t exactly Medal of Honor winners,” Trump said about the sheriffs to a roomful of Republican governors at the White House. “The way they performed was frankly disgusting. They were listening to what was going on. The one in particular… he was early, then you had three others… a similar kind of a thing.”

“I really believe I’d run in there even if I didn’t have a weapon, and I think most of the people in this room would have done that to, because I know most of you,” Trump added.

Trump has proposed arming some teachers in response to the shooting, which has reignited a national conversation about gun control and school safety. The president said he had lunch with National Rifle Association leaders over the weekend and recalled that the NRA executives had expressed their shared desire to “do something” about gun violence.

Trump’s remarks came in the wake of mounting criticism against the Broward County Sheriff’s office, whose four deputies stood outside the school while the rampage took place. Sheriff Scott Israel defended that failure to act over the weekend, and said he has provided “amazing leadership” to his office even as calls for his resignation grow.

…….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.