Trump: Maybe threat on North Korea wasn't 'tough enough'

Source: The Hill | August 10, 2017 | Max Greenwood

President Trump on Thursday questioned whether his threat to unleash “fire and fury” on North Korea was “tough enough.” 

“It’s about time someone stood up for the people of our country,” he told reporters, according to a White House press pool report.

Trump said “you’ll see” what is “tougher” than “fire and fury.” He added that his statements were backed “100 percent” by the military.

“And we’re backed 100 percent by our military, we’re backed by everybody and we’re backed by many other leaders,” he said. “And I noticed that many senators and others came out today very much in favor of what I said. But if anything that statement may not be tough enough.”

Trump declined to comment on the possibility of a pre-emptive strike against North Korea, saying “we don’t talk about that.”

He also advised North Korea to “get its act together” or it would be in trouble “like few nations have ever been.”

“The people of our country are safe. Our allies are safe,” he said. “And I will tell you this North Korea better get their act together or they’re going to be in trouble like few nations ever have been in trouble in this world.”

On Tuesday, Trump responded to reports that Pyongyang has developed a miniaturized nuclear warhead capable of fitting on one of its missiles by saying that he would unleash “fire and fury like the world has never seen before” if North Korea continued to threaten the U.S.

The president’s fiery language seemed to further escalate already-soaring tensions between Washington and Pyongyang. 

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.