Trump refuses to commit to Mueller interview

Source: Hill | January 10, 2018 | Jordan Fabian and Ben Kamisar

President Trump said Wednesday it is “unlikely” he will have to sit down with special counsel Robert Mueller for an interview, arguing that there was “no collusion” between his campaign and Russia.

Trump repeatedly dodged whether he would submit to an interview with Mueller by citing his claim there was no collusion during the 2016 presidential election.

“We’ll see what happens,” the president said when pressed by a reporter on Wednesday. “When they have no collusion … it seems unlikely that you’d even have an interview.”

Trump was speaking during a joint press conference alongside Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg following a meeting at the White House.

Multiple reports this week said that Mueller is likely to interview Trump in the coming weeks as part of the special counsel investigation into Russia’s meddling in the 2016 presidential race.

NBC News reported that Trump’s lawyers have discussed whether to ask for stipulations to the interview, such as answering questions in writing or signing an affidavit asserting the president’s innocence.

Trump’s comments are a shift from this past weekend, when he indicated he was open to speaking with Mueller.

“It’s sort of like, when you’ve done nothing wrong, let’s be open and get it over with,” he told reporters at Camp David in Maryland.

Asked last June if he would be “100 percent willing” to speak to the special counsel under oath about his interactions with ousted FBI Director James Comey, Trump told a reporter, “I would be glad to tell him exactly what I just told you.”

…….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #20870

EVERYDAY #20871

Trump, his lawyers and his cult have been stonewalling and obstructing this investigation from the beginning. Mueller should subpoena him and if his lawyers squawk, take it to court — preferably see a Never Trump judge. I would love to see Trump squirm.

Oh, and no discussions, friendly chats or written questions. Force him to swear under oath and depose him on the record. Videotape it too.

ConservativeGranny #20873

I agree. He is stonewalling. He is afraid of Mueller and so are his attorneys. Mueller would be a fool to accept anything less than a face to face interview with Trump. Trump has said he would do it now it’s time to put his money where his big mouth is.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.