Trump spokesman confirms: Yes, he'd impose an Oreo tax

Source: Washington Examiner | September 27, 2016 | Philip Klein

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – If Donald Trump were president, he would impose a tax on Oreos produced in Mexico, his campaign confirmed following Monday night’s presidential debate.

During the debate, Trump talked about preventing U.S. companies from moving jobs overseas. When pressed on how he would accomplish this, Trump said, “Well, the first thing you do is don’t let the jobs leave. The companies are leaving. I could name, I mean, there are thousands of them. They’re leaving, and they’re leaving in bigger numbers than ever.”

He then continued, “And what you do is you say, fine, you want to go to Mexico or some other country, good luck. We wish you a lot of luck. But if you think you’re going to make your air conditioners or your cars or your cookies or whatever you make and bring them into our country without a tax, you’re wrong.”

Though he didn’t mention Oreos by name Monday night, in the past, Trump has blasted Nabisco for moving some of its production from Chicago to Mexico, vowing to boycott Oreos.

….

Miller responded, “So, first off, when Mr. Trump is president, we think these companies are really going to think twice about packing up and taking American jobs overseas, or cross over into countries that are adjacent to us and try to sell those same goods back into the U.S. So, yes, those companies, if you did pack up and move out and take jobs, yeah, there would be a penalty.”

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #10267

Miller responded, “So, first off, when Mr. Trump is president, we think these companies are really going to think twice about packing up and taking American jobs overseas, or cross over into countries that are adjacent to us and try to sell those same goods back into the U.S. So, yes, those companies, if you did pack up and move out and take jobs, yeah, there would be a penalty.”

What a tyrant!

EVERYDAY #10268

Unless Trump figures he will rule by edict as Grand Exalted Poobah or something, instead of president, I believe it will be up to Congress to pass legislation instituting this tax.

Trump wants his worshipers to believe that HE is going to do x, y and z. Well, he isn’t. First of all, he makes plenty of promises he has no intention of keeping. Secondly, in most cases, constitutionally, he can’t. What he proposes could be illegal or he needs Congress to pass legislation to make it happen. I can’t see our inert congress doing anything. And my guess is that something like this Oreo tax will end up in court. Do we want a president who has no qualms about spending huge amounts of taxpayer money defending his probably illegal actions in court?

Consistent #10276

A few ways to prevent companies from moving out of the country are cutting corporate taxes and reducing regulations.

Other burdens for businesses are tariffs on importing cheaper materials into the country. For example, there is a high tariff on importing cheaper sugar to help sugar cane growers and sugar producers here. In order to compete in the global market, some companies producing food using a lot of sugar have to move factories out of the U.S.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.