TRUMPTASTROPHE (pep talk for #NeverTrump)

Source: RedState | November 9, 2016 | Caleb Howe

…..

From the time of my #NeverHillary post through my endorsement of Gary Johnson (oy), and up through the last few weeks both here and on social media, I have said over and over that there was no good option and no good outcome, because that is what I believed to be the case. The people who hate #NeverTrump and non-Trump conservatives disregarded that or didn’t believe that I and others meant it. Today, I know there are some conservatives who opposed Trump who likewise did not believe or were just not fully committed to the idea that a Hillary win was equally as terrible. Not all of them, just some. They among Republicans have been hit hardest, because last night they were invested in his loss and not hers. That is twice as much of a loss. It is twice as hard to swallow. To you, my friends, I can only tell you that your frustration and anger are every bit as valid and politically relevant as the frustration and anger of those who voted for him. If the GOP wants to win again in the future, they should learn the lesson of 2016 and not ignore or dismiss your objections and dissent.

We who chose to oppose Donald Trump, or who chose to oppose both major party candidates, must also do rather than just say. The GOP, still nominally the political home for conservatives, now has the power to actually effect change. The ability to reverse Obamacare, for one. To address immigration. Don’t let them do it without you.

So yes, it’s okay to be mad and frustrated and even heartbroken. But don’t be lazy or sullen or a quitter. Take the lumps. I was wrong. You were wrong. Trump said he could do it, we didn’t believe him, and he did it.

He did it. Do you see? He said he could, and he did. The new question is: what else can he do?

In closing, let me address one other item. The ugly, gross, newly empowered group known as the alt-right are going to see this as a validation of their vile worldview. They will see this as a successful conquest and takeover of the Republican party. If you leave, and leave it to them, then they have what they wish. A party, a platform, and the reins of power. Do you want racist xenophobes to have that kind of power in the United States? No?

Then don’t hand it to them. In January, begin holding President Trump (which he will be) accountable. Hold your representatives and senators accountable. Do what political activists are supposed to do, especially conservative activists. Fight the bad, encourage the good. Fight the power, and also use it.

We’re going to have to rebuild the conservative movement. Maybe one day, maybe even soon, that might mean a different party. But right now and for the foreseeable future, you should have one goal in mind. To put it in the parlance of the social media armies: don’t let the haters win.

………………………..

And if none of that makes you feel any better, think about one other thing: the most incorrect people of all are the conservative writers, pundits, celebrities, radio hosts, and social media mavens who dedicated the vast majority of the last year to berating and belittling every conservative who refused to board the Trump train. What a waste of time. For all their histrionics and whining, we were right when we said that #NeverTrump wouldn’t turn the tide of the election, and they were wrong. Wronger than you. The wrongest. Their divisiveness did not save the election, Trump won handily, but it certainly brought destruction to the ranks of the Republican party. The party they now need to come together in support of their guy. What a dumb move on their part. Just like you told them.

There, better right?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.