Twitter limits Donald Trump Jr.'s account after sharing coronavirus disinformation

Source: The Hill | July 28, 2020 | Chris Mills Rodrigo

Twitter temporarily limited Donald Trump Jr.’s account after the president’s son shared a video that broke the platform’s coronavirus misinformation policies, a spokesperson confirmed to The Hill on Tuesday.

Trump Jr. will have some functionality — like being able to tweet or retweet — limited for 12 hours.

He is not suspended from the platform, although his spokesperson claimed otherwise in a statement.

“Twitter suspending Don Jr. for sharing a viral video of medical professionals discussing their views on Hydroxychloroquine is further proof that Big Tech is intent on killing free expression online and is another instance of them committing election interference to stifle Republican voices,” Andy Surabian said.

Surabian also said in a tweet that Twitter is playing “BS word games” and the limits still amount to a suspension.

The video in question has been taken down for violating Twitter rules.

It defends the use of hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug touted by President Trump, to combat COVID-19 and claims that you do not need a mask, despite broad medical consensus saying masks can significantly slow the spread of the disease.

The video spread like wildfire on social media platforms Monday, racking up millions of views before being taken down.

It especially picked up traction after being shared by right-wing site Breitbart News and the political group Tea Party Patriots.

Facebook took the video down in the evening, although other copies have popped up on the platform.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41474

Consistent #41475

Consistent #41481

Consistent #41482

EVERYDAY #41486

Even putting aside whether or not Hydroxychloroquine works for COVID — people should be aware that it is like every other drugs. It has potential side effects, contraindications and interactions with other drugs. Since I have a number of health issues, I looked at this drug and found it could exacerbate the issues I now have and maybe create new ones. if I had COVID, I would not want this drug and I’m sure my physicians would not prescribe it. Trump and his boy Junior are telling people to ignore their doctors’ advice, ignore the possible risks and demand that the drug be prescribed and administered. Such advice could potentially kill more people than COVID itself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.