‘Whatever it takes’: Trump says he’s willing to spend his own money as campaign’s cash advantage evaporates

Source: Politico | September 8, 2020 | Quint Forgey

Meanwhile, Biden has seen his fundraising soar in the final weeks of the 2020 campaign.

President Donald Trump denied Tuesday that his campaign was in dire financial straits but pledged he would contribute “whatever it takes” from his own personal fortune to ensure the success of his reelection effort.

“If I have to, I would,” Trump said of potentially donating to his campaign. “But we’re doing very well. We needed to spend more money up front because of the pandemic and the statements being made by Democrats, which were, again, disinformation.”

The remarks from the president were seemingly in response to a review The New York Times published Monday detailing how the Trump campaign has already spent more than $800 million of the $1.1 billion it raised in coordination with the Republican National Committee from the beginning of 2019 through July.

……..

Speaking to reporters Tuesday from the tarmac of Joint Base Andrews, Trump insisted the “press was fake” and that his campaign has “much more money than we had last time,” at the same point in the 2016 White House race.

“But if we needed any more, I’d put it up personally, like I did in the primaries last time,” Trump said. “In the 2016 primaries, I put up a lot of money. If I have to, I’ll do it here. But we don’t have to because we have double and maybe even triple what we had a number of years ago.”

……..

Biden, meanwhile, has seen his fundraising soar in the final weeks of the 2020 campaign. Last month, the former vice president and the Democratic National Committee raked in a record $365 million in contributions — doubling Trump’s $165 million record haul from July and also surpassing the $193 million raised by Barack Obama in September 2008.

……..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42675

Consistent #42676

EVERYDAY #42678

He has a “personal fortune?” LOL

More like maybe another loan from Russian banks has come through.

Consistent #42683

ConservativeGranny #42690

He already has ads out on the internet URGENT. Begging for money.

Consistent #42692

Like a dog! Sad!

EVERYDAY #42716

Oh please! I get a pile of junk mail from his campaign on an almost daily basis looking for a donation. This morning I received a text on the same topic. The sender probably won’t get my response — these texts are automated — but I replied with a few unladylike words that would make a sailor blush.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by EVERYDAY.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.