White House: Trump not suggesting voters 'do anything unlawful' in comments on voting twice

Source: The Hill | September 3, 2020 | Morgan Chalfant

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany insisted Thursday that President Trump was not suggesting people “do anything unlawful” when he encouraged voters to test the system by voting both by mail and in person.

In an interview on Fox News, McEnany said that Trump was telling voters to “verify” that their mailed ballot is counted in the upcoming November election when he made the remarks during a trip to North Carolina on Wednesday.

“The president is not suggesting anyone do anything unlawful. What he said very clearly there is make sure your vote is tabulated and if it is not, then vote,” McEnany said on Fox.

“Basically, when you get an absentee ballot and you send it in, there are poll books and it is recorded that you have in fact voted. And if you show up at a polling site, they look at the poll book and say your vote has been counted. He wants verification,” McEnany continued.

She went on to accuse Democrats of seeking a “whole new fraudulent system of mail-in voting” by trying to expand access to mail-in ballots during the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump triggered scrutiny when he suggested, during a local TV interview in Wilmington, N.C., on Wednesday afternoon, that people should vote twice. Voting more than once in an election is illegal. 

“They will vote and then they are going to have to check their vote by going to the poll and voting that way because if it tabulates then they won’t be able to do that. So let them send it in, and let them go vote. And if the system is as good as they say it is, then they obviously won’t be able to vote,” Trump told WECT News. “If it isn’t tabulated, they will be able to vote. So that’s the way it is, and that’s what they should do.”

Trump then made similar remarks to a crowd of supporters at the Wilmington airport, before delivering remarks at Battleship North Carolina marking the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II.

“Let them send it in, and let them go vote, and if their system’s as good as they say it is, then obviously they won’t be able to vote. If it isn’t tabulated, they’ll be able to vote,” he said.

“If it’s as good as they say it is, then obviously they won’t be able to vote. If it isn’t tabulated, they’ll be able to vote. So that’s the way it is. And that’s what they should do,” he added.

……..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42487

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Consistent. Reason: Moved to "Breaking News"
    Consistent #42488

Consistent #42489

Consistent #42490

Consistent #42494

EVERYDAY #42498

For every stupid thing Trump says, there is always an official explanation from the propaganda ministry. This time, it’s “that’s not what he meant.” Yeah, right.

I hate to tell his cult, but voting twice is illegal and in most states, it’s a felony. If you get caught, Trump cannot pardon you or commute your sentence if convicted. And if you are a convicted felon, you may lose some privileges, including your right to vote in the future; that depends on the law in your state.

Interesting that Trump is telling his cult to commit the very crime he has been railing against — voter fraud. I can see his shenanigans tying up the election for weeks, maybe months and that may include the other elections for congress, senate, etc. down ticket. I just hope that on Inauguration Day the Secret Service, the US Marshal and whatever law enforcement is appropriate will be prepared to evict Trump from the White House should he lose.

ConservativeGranny #42551

He is telling us that he is going to make sure there will be no final decision on election day and he doesn’t plan on leaving office. He will encourage and cause as much chaos and confusion as possible. There is nothing that can be done under our Constitution for this type of presidency. Our systems requires moral men, checks and balances with oversight. We have an entire party complicit in his crimes and immoral behavior from ignoring and excusing it to being directly involved in it. Some will say our recourse is to vote him out. What is the last resort when our free elections are no longer guaranteed? We will begin to hear more about the bullet option I believe but it will come from one faction’s supporters. We know who that will be. There will be a call to violence if Trump’s win isn’t secured I believe.

EVERYDAY #42562

I expect Trump is desperate to stay in office because if he leaves, all those state cases against him will become active and if convicted of wrongdoing, Trump could end up in the slammer.

I do however have faith in our electoral system, despite Trump’s efforts to sabotage it. But the system can only work if people actually vote. I originally intended to sit out this election; then I said I would only vote down ticket and not vote for the presidency. But now I believe I can’t be neutral in this race. I have to swallow my convictions and vote for Biden. Trump has to be defeated by a wide margin so that his inevitable court proceedings challenging the outcome will be tossed out.

This is where a strong judiciary will be imperative. Trump so wanted to fill the courts with “conservative” jurists — that is, judges he thought would be loyal to him and rule in his favor. If he files any federal actions challenging the outcome of these elections, the jurists have to forget about any loyalty to Trump and rule according to the law. Absent any proof of the allegations Trump may raise, those lawsuits should be dispatched quickly.

ConservativeGranny #42576

I agree. If Trump loses the election he has absolutely no power over anyone. He will be just another American subject to the same laws we are. His ability to bully anyone except his own family will be gone. And hopefully the legal proceedings against him will continue to ruin him until he has nothing left. He deserves to become a target of shame, ridicule and shunning. He deserves to be personally and professionally ruined and left with nothing but his own ego to keep him company. No one will care about what Donald Trump is tweeting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.