Why is Trump harassing businesses on social media? Because for now, it works

Source: Washington Examiner | December 4, 2016 | David Freddoso

….

Conservatives didn’t stand for this sort of thing when Obama was president, and I’m certainly not about to now. But that’s almost beside the point. Think about what he’s really doing here as you read what Trump subsequently posted on Facebook (minor spelling error corrected):

The U.S. is going to substantially reduce taxes and regulations on businesses, but any business that leaves our country for another country, fires its employees, builds a new factory or plant in the other country, and then thinks it will sell its product back into the U.S. without retribution or consequence, is WRONG! There will be a tax on our soon to be strong border of 35% for these companies wanting to sell their product, cars, A.C. units etc., back across the border. This tax will make leaving financially difficult, but these companies are able to move between all 50 states, with no tax or tariff being charged. Please be forewarned prior to making a very expensive mistake! THE UNITED STATES IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

Now, if you’re educated in economic policy and American government, your eyes have nearly rolled their way out of your head by now. It’d be unimaginable for a 35 percent tariff to pass, and beyond that, it would be ruinous for the country.

And that last part, in all caps, reminds me of the phrase, “the beatings will continue until morale improves.”

But you know what? I’ve never been Trump’s audience. And if you’re reading this, probably you haven’t either.

On the other hand, if you’re an employee at Rexnord or any of thousands of such companies across the Midwest, or if you’ve been laid off by such a company, or if lots of people in your community have — well, that’s a different story. You’re Trump’s target audience, and he’s keeping the exact promises he made to be “your voice.”

You’re feeling pretty happy that for once, somebody is thinking of you. Someone acknowledges there’s a problem, when no one else would.

….

But in the meantime, Trump is going to get far more political bang for his buck with the earned media he gets from harassing businesses on social media. So expect to see more of it.

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.