Zuckerberg, Dorsey spar over Twitter’s flagging of Trump’s tweets

Source: Politico | May 28, 2020 | Quint Forgey

“We have a different policy than, I think, Twitter on this,” the Facebook CEO told Fox News.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg argued Wednesday that private companies should not be the “arbiter of truth” online, implicitly rebuking fellow tech titan Jack Dorsey after the Twitter CEO flagged a pair of President Donald Trump’s posts with fact-check warnings that provoked the White House’s ire.

“We have a different policy than, I think, Twitter on this,” Zuckerberg told Fox News host Dana Perino in an interview set to air Thursday.

“You know, I just believe strongly that Facebook shouldn’t be the arbiter of truth of everything that people say online,” he continued. “I think, in general, private companies probably shouldn’t be — or especially these platform companies — shouldn’t be in the position of doing that.”

Dorsey responded to Zuckerberg’s remarks in a string of tweets Wednesday evening, imploring Twitter’s critics to “leave our employees out of this.” He also vowed the company would “continue to point out incorrect or disputed information about elections globally” and “admit to and own any mistakes we make” in the process.

“This does not make us an ‘arbiter of truth,’” Dorsey added. “Our intention is to connect the dots of conflicting statements and show the information in dispute so people can judge for themselves. More transparency from us is critical so folks can clearly see the why behind our actions.”

The back-and-forth between the top Silicon Valley executives comes as the president continues to vent sustained outrage over Twitter’s first-of-its-kind intervention on his preferred social media feed, alleging the company is engaged in election interference and stifling free speech.

……….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.